Dan Morgan - Straight Shooter [danmorgan]
Do you have an online gallery where one can view your photos?
Yes, this is a very important aspect of getting potential customer's attention. My main web site (below) links viewer to slide shows posted at another site.
For how long have you done photography? How did you begin?
Been shooting since the early 1970's
You do the math.
Built a darkroom in my basement as a surprise Christmas present for my older brother, and I ended up taking more interest than he did.
What has been your education as a photographer?
BA At University of Dayton, in Ohio
Please list any exhibitions in which you have participated.
Not up to date but partial list...
* July, 2002,2003,2004, Sotheby's Employee/Consultant Group Exhibition.
* October, 2001 - Jade Lounge, NYC, "International Toy Camera Images" Solo Exhibition.
* April, 2001 - Rosenthal China's Madison Ave. Showroom, NYC, "Table for 40" Solo Contemporary Installation.
* January, 2000 - E-3 gallery, NYC, "Plastic Fantastic" Juried group show.
* May, 1999 - Carole Fuereman Studio/ Gallery, NY, NY "Two New Views" with
* August 1998- Catoe & Bambu Gallery, NYC, NY, Solo Exhibition "Homage"
* Oct-Nov 1997 - Ward Nasse Gallery, 178 Prince Street, SOHO, group show
* May-August 1997- Ward Nasse Gallery, 178 Prince Street, SOHO, group show
* 1994-1997 - SPACES Members show and sale
* 1993-1996 - SPACES annual benefit
* January, 1997 - "Way Cool" Brillo Pad, coffee shop and nightclub. Group exhibition. Covered by Cleveland Media
* December, 1996 Shoreby Club , Solo Exhibition, "Marine Transportation"
* July, August, September, 1996 - Steamship William G. Mather Museum, "Commercial Marine Transportation, A Photographic Observation by Dan Morgan", Solo installation documenting a routine 60,000 ton coal pick up and delivery; a 1,500 mile round trip through the Great Lakes.
* July, 1996 - Bohemia Cafe - "Trains", Solo exhibition. Tremont Art Walk
* May, 1995 - Edison's Pub - "Bridges, Spanning the Corridor", Solo exhibition sponsored by The Ohio Canal Corridor. Tremont Art Walk
* November, 1994 - Gallery 0022 - "Portraits of Palma", Digitized full color photography by Dan Morgan featuring the people of Palma, Mallorca, Spain. Original images were manipulated by several Cleveland area computer artists. Resulting exhibition was both entertaining and educational.
* 1985-Present - The Cleveland Pride Collection - Images of the Cleveland Skyline and Various Cleveland Landmarks. Represented by Frame Center Gallery and Bonfoey Gallery. Images have been used in hundreds of different kinds of commercial applications from souvenir cups to VISA credit cards. "The Cleveland Pride Collection" Images are also part of several Cleveland area corporate art collections, (Partial list) :
* Ernst and Young - Accounting Firm's Corporate Offices Oglebay Norton - Shipping Company's Corporate Offices David Speaker- Attorney's Office Jacobs Field - Baseball facility's lodges Dr. Rodney 'Huck' Finn DDS - Downtown Cleveland Dentist Office, McMannamon, Gilbert and Doeringer - Accounting Firm's Office
Please list any awards for your work.
Silver Gavel Award, Sotheby's Auction House
What is your favourite type of photography?
Product in studio
What do you try to express through your photography?
make products people or services, look their best!
How do you choose your subjects?
Clients usually choose my subjects, I am a commercial photographer first!
What type of preparation do you do before undertaking the photo session?
Good night sleep
Make sure to have a complete equipment list and everything is working!
Do you normally photograph with a purpose already in mind, or do you let yourself go with the flow?
Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sigma, Olympus, Sony, Pentax...which do you place your bets on and why?
I am a Nikon convert.
Describe your current equipment: cameras, lenses, computers, accessories...
I have a little of every format, film and digital!
What software and plug-ins do you use to retouch and manage your photos?
Can't afford CS
What measures do you take to protect your work against Internet piracy?
Are you a good salesperson of your work? In what should you improve?
Business/client always first!
Which past masters of photography do you most admire?
adams, stieglitz, avedon
Are technology and digital retouching reducing the gap between professionals and amateurs?
yes and no
let a client decide who knows what they are doing!
What is your team of habitual collaborators like?
Don't understand question
With which other photographers do you normally team up with or do sessions with?
Your kidding right?
Do you consider yourself more technical or more artistic?
What have you learned about the art of framing and composition?
Basic principles of design MUST be followed, the rest, well anything goes!
How does one develop the instinct of knowing when to press the shutter release button?
easy, just shoot it
used to wast money on film, now you just waste time editing!
When should one use film, and when should one use digital?
Film is over man!
Does photography have the recognition that it should have in contemporary art museums?
Which websites for photographers do you frequently visit?
some once in a while, none frequently, waste of time.
Is there any particular technique that you could share?
Work on it!!!
Dan Morgan - Straight Shooter
Cleveland - Northeast Ohio